Tumeric barramundi with beetroot, almond & zucchini salad
This recipe is ideal for an easy but healthy dinner for guests - and of course it's delicious! The lovely colour from the tumeric also gives a bit of extra excitement ;)
PALEO, GLUTEN FREE & DAIRY FREE (*optional: add some grilled haloumi for the cheeseaholics out there)
- Barramundi fillets (or you can substitute for any other thick-filleted fish such as salmon or ocean trout)
- Ground tumeric
- Ground sumac
- 2 large beetroots, whole, leaves off
- 3 zucchinis
- Baby spinach or rocket leaves
- 1 lemon
- Fresh mint
- Handful of almonds
- salt & pepper
- Olive oil
1) Wrap the beetroots each separately in foil and stick in the oven at 200 degrees (celsius) for an hour (best if you do this about a half hour before you start the other stuff to give it time to cook).
2) To prepare the fillets, place face up on a plate, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then sprinkle with sumac & tumeric (about 1 tsp of each per fillet), spreading it so it covers the whole surface.
3) Using a GRILL pan (an ordinary pan works too but is nowhere near exciting), grill the zucchini in long strips in a little olive oil for the salad.
4) Using the same pan (I hate cleaning up!), add about 2 tbsp olive oil to coat the pan and on medium high heat, sear the fish (tumeric side down). After about 2 minutes, flip onto the skin side and continue to cook until cooked all the way through (about 3-4 minutes, you can cut into it to check!) Remove from heat.
5) When the beetroot is cooked through, remove them from the oven and allow to cool before you peel the skin off. If you're in a rush you can run the package under cold water (provided you sealed it) or just cut the skin off. CHOP beetroot into rough chunks.
6) To assemble the SALAD: throw your spinach/rocket in a big salad bowl, add your beets & grilled zucchini on top, toss on the almonds and a whole lot of mint leaves (the more the merrier!) and drizzle with a dash of olive oil and about 3 tbsp tahini to dress.
Serve your fish on top with extra tahini and lemon wedges!